Best Selling Video Games
Video games have been a beloved form of entertainment for millions of people around the world. Throughout the decades, some titles have reached a level of popularity and astonishing success, becoming authentic global phenomena. Today, we present to you an epic list of the 10 best-selling video games in history, based on verified data and impressive figures.
9. The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt – 50 MillionCD Projekt Red proudly announced in May 2023 that their seminal RPG, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, surpassed the 50 million copies sold mark. As part of The Witcher series, the overall sales for the franchise have now exceeded 75 million copies.
10. Overwatch – 50 MillionBlizzard's highly acclaimed hero shooter, Overwatch, achieved a significant milestone by selling 50 million copies, as reported by Bloomberg in April 2022. The game's success can be attributed to its exceptional game design, well-crafted heroes, and continuous support for the esports community. Later in October 2022, Overwatch was succeeded by its free-to-play sequel, Overwatch 2.
9. The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt – 50 Million
8. Red Dead Redemption 2 – 50 MillionRed Dead Redemption 2, the captivating western epic developed by Rockstar, achieved a remarkable feat, selling over 50 million copies by the end of 2022, according to Take-Two's latest financial report.
7. The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim – 60 MillionIn June 2023, Todd Howard from Bethesda revealed that the popular RPG, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, has sold more than 60 million units since its initial release in 2011. The game's enduring popularity and active player base continue to make it a beloved title in the gaming community.
6. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 62 MillionAccording to Nintendo's records, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe stands as the best-selling game for the Nintendo Switch, with over 53 million copies sold as of March 31, 2023. When considering sales from its original Wii U release, the total climbs to over 62 million, solidifying its position as the sixth best-selling game of all time. It is unlikely to move up further on the list due to the considerable gap in sales between it and the next best-selling game.
5. PUBG – 75 MillionAs a pioneer of the battle royale genre, PUBG experienced immense success, selling 75 million copies as of December 2021. The game's popularity was further boosted when it transitioned to a free-to-play model in January 2022.
4. Wii Sports – 82 MillionWii Sports holds the distinction of being Nintendo's best-selling game ever, with nearly 83 million copies sold. It achieved this remarkable figure by being bundled with the Wii console in almost all regions upon its launch, making it the top-selling single-platform exclusive game of all time.
3. Grand Theft Auto V – 175 MillionGrand Theft Auto V, Rockstar's ambitious open-world game, ranks as the best-selling console/PC-only game of all time, amassing over 175 million units in sales by September 30, 2022. The game's continued success across three console generations and PC from 2013 to 2022 has made it the fastest entertainment release to reach $1 billion and the most profitable entertainment release up to at least 2018 for Rockstar and Take-Two.
2. Minecraft – 238 MillionMicrosoft proudly reported that Minecraft had sold over 238 million copies as of April 2021, and the game's sales have likely continued to soar in the following year. With its availability across 22 platforms and various expansions into film, Netflix, education, and toys, Minecraft has transcended the gaming medium, achieving unprecedented success in multiple fields.
1. Tetris – 520 MillionRegarded as one of the most enduring video games ever created, Tetris holds the top position among all-time bestsellers, boasting an impressive sales figure of 520 million copies, as reported by The Tetris Company. This remarkable number encompasses sales across various platforms, with a significant portion originating from mobile devices. According to Henk Rogers, the managing director of The Tetris Company, Tetris garnered 425 million paid mobile downloads by 2014. Initially introduced for the Soviet Union's Elektronika 60 computer, the classic puzzle game has undergone adaptations for over 50 different platforms. Notably, Tetris played a pivotal role in propelling the success of Nintendo's Game Boy, ultimately selling 35 million copies on the beloved handheld console.